Sunday, April 23, 2006

Vera

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn,
Remember how she said that
We would meet again, some sunny day
Vera! Vera! What has become of you?
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do ?

The song is from The Wall by Pink Floyd(obviously). Its draped in melancholy of everlasting war which symbolises misery of suffering. Waters has played magic here. The song is only a minute long and majority of the people who have heard The Wall wont remember it....no let me re-word the last sentence , most of the people who have heard The Wall and not listened to it wont remember it. I guess this has become one of my all time favorite Floyd songs for its simple yet strong melody that makes you feel something in the gut...

Well...Dont get me wrong here, I am not a sad person, far from it as many would say, but have been intrigued by this subtle yet sad melody which touched me... Vera has such a fine fabric to it...i am not a music critic but I guess its something to do with the song's tone/melody or whatever you wanna call it that makes you feel what someone in agony being given hope (false?) might have felt....a soldier standing in the dirt of Normandy listening to Vera Lynn sing with the sun setting on the French side and troops retreating..still hoping that it will be over...

Vera Lynn makes me numb...I guess we all are given hope all the time and sometimes we do feel its never gonna be over but still we dont wanna believe that...thats what makes Vera realistic and easy to relate to, at least for me...

but there are days when I feel Vera means....

"oh, whatever happened to that glamour girl who came in when the war began and told us it is gonna be over soon...where's she now? its been so long that I have been suffering...but it never ends....does anyone else remember her? why did she lie to me? when is it gonna be over for me.......... "

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Aps said...

Good start buddy. Do send me a link to this song or otherwise mail maadi.

4/26/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger aaditya sood said...

Good stuff. I realize I hadn't noticed this part of the song.

But then I'm usuaully drunk when I listen to Floyd, so what do I know :)

5/03/2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger sp said...

thats it?? ek post pe hi ruk gaye?

7/01/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Atanu said...

Good Hai!!! well written, i guess grass, vodka and floyd always create wonders :-P
No seriously!!!

7/06/2006 5:44 AM  
Blogger shwetank said...

im taken by surprise .... pretty authentic and well written stuff.
waiting for more ...

7/08/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Unexplored Mind said...

i hear you. that song is short and sweet...and like most of floyd's creation has a deeper meaning to it.

3/28/2007 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home